Wednesday, February 22, 2012

In the Beginning...

I suppose it had to happen sometime.  I have needed an outlet for this subject for quite some time, a subject that is quickly growing to be a major topic of discussion among people who, ten years ago, would haven't have ever admitted interest in it publicly.

I know, cryptic right?  What could I be speaking of?  Simple.  I'm speaking of Prepping, as it's officially come to be known.  Prepping, survival, getting ready for "WROL"*, even hoarding, this subject is called multiple things, but in the past few years, Prepping has become the accepted term for what is a way of life for some, a passing fad or interest for others, and possibly a new subject of interest for still others.  Thanks to the Internet, preppers have long since been able to congregate on various forums, chat rooms, message boards, and even video sites like Youtube where they share information, strategies, and methodologies, with each other and sympathetic minded folks who are looking for helping in getting started themselves.

I myself have become one of those people.  I am not crazy.  I am a lot like you, the reader, in that I am a college educated tax-paying citizen.  I go to work, I come home, I kiss my wife as she arrives home from work, and we plan dinner.  We read, watch television, surf the internet, play video games, go out with friends on the weekends, and in most respects are ordinary.  So, why am I here?  Why are you reading this?  Again, simple.  I have an online presence like most others do, with a Facebook page, G-Chat, other blogs, forums I post regularly on, where I don't feel that my surging interest in Prepping would be well received.  The problem is that a lot of people still think many preppers are either doom-and-gloom mongers, crazy anarchists, or militants who can't wait for Society to collapse so they can become the leaders of the new band of crazy.  Well, I wish I could argue that those people don't exist in the prepper community, but the fact is, they do.  I don't want to be lumped in with the folks that give this topic a negative connotation so, I have created this blog as an outlet for me to discuss information that I have found, and which may at some point serve as a reference for me if I am looking for some concept, strategy, or factoid I may have forgotten.  There is seriously a lot of information out there. 

Speaking of the various flavors of prepper, they seem to fall into a few different categories, which I will probably detail in an upcoming post.  At the end of it all, I don't expect many to read this blog, or even find it, to be perfectly candid, but sometimes we don't do things for others, or for recognition.  Sometimes, we just do things because we feel a need to do them.  This blog is mine.

- Unnamed Prepper

"And while the law of competition may be sometimes hard for the individual, it is best for the race, because it ensures the survival of the fittest in every department."

Andrew Carnegie














* Without Rule of Law - the term that encapsulates the idea that Society at large will collapse without government, police, or any ruling body to keep it flowing in a peaceful, productive manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment